Celeriac dauphinoise with Gruyère and thyme
25 October 2013
1 large (1 ¾ lb / 800g) celeriac, peeled and chopped into quarters
16 fl oz (450ml) of double cream
5 fl oz (150ml) of whole milk
2 tablespoons of thyme leaves
2 tablespoons of butter
2 cups (200g) of mature gruyere cheese, coarsely grated
½ tablespoon of grated nutmeg
Sea salt and black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
2. Slice the celeriac very thinly (ideally 2-3 mm) and set aside.
3. Pour the cream, milk, and 1 tbsp. thyme into a bowl.
4. Mix together well and season generously.
5. Spread layers of the celeriac into a large, buttered, ovenproof baking dish.
6. Sprinkle 1 1/3 cup (130g) of gruyere between each layer then, finally, pour over the cream and milk mixture.
7. Press the celeriac down. It should just be showing above the milk and cream.
8. Spread the remaining gruyere on top and bake for 1 hour, or until tender.
9. Serve sprinkled with nutmeg and the remaining thyme.